Hiring an experienced Knoxville roofing contractor – or any experienced Tennessee contractor, for that matter – to install, replace and repair the roof over your home is no laughing matter. Keep in mind that roofing costs can be substantial and you cannot entrust the job to a handyman.
You must then check on the professional credentials of any Knoxville contractor before hiring his services. The following steps are also applicable when checking on the credentials of Knoxville windows contractors and Tennessee roofing contractors.
Why hop from one office to the next when you can let your fingers do the walking? Log online and voila! You have the right information at your fingertips. For example, all Knoxville roofing contractors are required by law to comply with the requirements for licensing as set on the official website of the State of Tennessee’s Department of Commerce and Insurance. You can verify the validity of the license presented by any Knoxville contractor on said website, thus, making it so easy to weed out the amateurs from the professionals.
Of course, just because the roofing contractor has a valid license does not automatically mean that he is the most suitable professional for the outsourcing job. You must always ask for referrals from the clients of the roofing contractor and then ask relevant questions including but not limited to:
• Were you satisfied with the final results delivered by the contractor?
• Were you provided with the appropriate warranties and guaranties for the completed work? Did the roofing contractor deliver on the warranties?
• Were you able to work well with the roofing contractor? What were the common issues before, during and after the work was finished?
Basically, you want to determine the Knoxville roofing contractor’s suitability for your outsourcing project. This is true regardless of the minor (i.e., installation of insulated vinyl siding or vinyl replacement windows) or major (i.e., gutter installation or sunroom installation) nature of the work. If you have any misgiving about said professional, then listen to your gut.
Because licenses, certifications and other documents related to credentials can easily be faked, you should always peruse the contractor’s papers. You need not be an expert on documentary evidence but it pays to take a closer look at the dates, names of organizations, and types of certifications issued to the contractor. If something does not feel right, then it probably is not or it must be checked out first.
It also pays to know a few of the pertinent rules and regulations pertaining to the services of Knoxville roofing contractors. For example, take note of the following:
• For projects worth $25,000 and up inclusive of materials and labor, a Tennessee contractor must first present his license before bidding on the projects.
• Contractors in Tennessee must apply for specific licenses. Each license has both a classification and a monetary limit; check with the State of Tennessee website, too.
• Roofing contractors under contract with insurance companies should include certain consumer protection language in each contract of work.
And speaking of insurance, you must check that the Knoxville roofing contractor has valid insurance papers for both general liability and workers’ compensation. Think of insurance as your protection in the same way that a gutter protection system works for your home’s gutters.